My approach is psychoeducational. My goal is to empower you to focus, listen to yourself, reflect upon what you discover and make more self-aware choices by providing brief, solution-focused counseling and coaching. With a strong intention, in conjunction with becoming curious rather than judgmental about yourself, I believe that you can shift feelings of overwhelm about what you are experiencing in six to eight counselling sessions. I provide helpful, up to date resources that support you in taking new perspectives and learning new skills.
• My full presence and curiosity about you. Successful outcomes in counselling are highly correlated with the quality of the counselling relationship; technique and theoretical orientation are secondary. I will be available to establish a relationship with you from the moment we connect.
• My knowledge, flexibility, and creativity. While techniques such as cognitive and dialectical behavioral therapy for depression and anxiety have proven efficacy, and I am pleased to orient you to them, each of us experiences life and learns differently. I will help you anchor yourself to the understanding that you are the only expert on yourself. I will provide information and resources that encourage you to develop self-affirming perspectives and skills. I will continually redirect you to finding your own answers to your issues and concerns. I will help you to understand that self-awareness and self-mastery are the ultimate goals of the therapeutic relationship.
• My psychoeducational approach. An educational approach to wellness is often more effective than medical model formulations that tend to categorize and medicate rather than explore. Through a psychoeducational process I will support you to find your own pathway through common human experiences such as: grief and loss; anxiety; trauma and trauma recovery; some types of depression; body image; becoming more mindful; establishing effective boundaries; increasing self-confidence and assertiveness; managing life transitions including the birth of a child; beginning or ending relationships; understanding sexuality; aging; and developing empathy and communication skills.
• My considerable professional training and life experience, my emotional intelligence and my curiosity about life will help you to discover your own pathway.
• Master’s degree in Social Work (University of British Columbia)
• registration with the BC College of Social Workers since 1998; Clinical registration 2014 (04424)
• registered for Private Practice with the BC Association of Social Workers (100227)
• completion of three undergraduate degrees at Dalhousie University. BA Honours; B.Ed; BSW equivalency
• enrolled in a Diploma in Counselling at The Haven, a Registered Educational Institution on Gabriola Island
• studying how Adult Attachment styles impact relationship outcomes and how attachment functions in relationship dynamics.
• I have been a student at The Haven for 30 years. In December of 2016 I Interned Phase 2 and came face to face with my profound fear of being seen in both my vulnerability and my competence; the experience was transformative. In January 2018 I will be interning a Come Alive. Following this, my intention is to apply to be accepted as a Senior Intern to complete the requirements for the Diploma in Counselling. I am grateful to Haven and the many Haven Leaders and Teachers.
• a student of Eastern wisdom traditions and non-sectarian spirituality for the past decade
• interested in neuroscience and neurofeedback and training the brain/ mind to rest in favor of health, wellness, and pleasure when not solving immediate problems
• combine my varied interests in human growth, development, resiliency, and consciousness with 25 years of experience
• worked for Ministry of Children and Family Development, Health Canada, Vancouver and Toronto Family Services and the Attorney General/ Ministry of Public Safety, as well as for non-profit and Aboriginal and First Nations individuals and communities
• provide counselling to individuals as well as couples, families, and groups